Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Day 14 & Making It Happen

I can't believe how long it's been since I last wrote a post. Ten school days! Initially I thought I'd like to write a post every day, because the blogs I follow are written on a daily basis (usually by 8 in the morning - holey cow!). I've realized that daily is a stretch for me. I'm thinking weekly posts should be my new reachable goal.

It's not that I don't have anything to write about -- I have SO many ideas jotted down on post-it notes, notebooks, itty bitty slips of paper, the white board, etc. It's just that everything else I'm doing is taking so much of my time already and I'm still consistently getting to bed later than I plan each night. How did I ever spend so much time in front of the t.v.?! No wonder so many other areas of my life were neglected. Care takes time.

I feel amazing! I am feeling amazing. My clothes fit better, which is great, but I feel like getting away from the t.v. and getting more involved with my life has just opened me up. I love how much I'm cooking, prepping, blending smoothies, running the dishwasher even! I love this new life I'm living and all the new adventures I'm having (even if most of them have been in my own kitchen)!

Tonight I am roasting beets for the first time. Roasting beets! For real. These are amazing. They smell incredible. Earthy. When I brought them home from Whole Foods they were dirty and left little piles of sandy dirt wherever I set them down. I loved it. That dirt reminds me that God provides. And that He has already provided us with everything we need - in nature - for wellness and sustenance.

I just pulled them out of the oven and they are simply amazing. What an easy, delicious, and healthy thing to make! It's sad it took me so long to get on board. Look what I was missing out on all these years! But really, the great thing is that now, no matter what, I'm making it happen.

How to Roast Beets
borrowed from: http://www.oprah.com/food/Roasted-Beet-Salad
and
http://laquillen.wordpress.com/2011/09/06/arugula-salad-with-roasted-beets-and-figs/
(I seriously need to try roasting figs next week!)

Ingredients
Beets, scrubbed (Remove the greens but leave about a 1/2 inch of the stem end intact to preserve the nutrients, also leave root end intact. Save greens to steam -- they are exceptionally nutritious. Unfortunately, I learned that a bit late and had already tossed them into the compost. Next time.)
1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
Coarse salt and ground black pepper

Directions
Preheat oven to 450°. Line a large piece of aluminum foil with parchment paper. Place beets in center of parchment. Drizzle with one tablespoon oil, and season with salt and pepper. Fold aluminum foil up to enclose beets. Place on a small baking sheet and roast until tender when pierced with the tip of a knife, about 1 hour.

Remove from oven and let sit until no longer hot to the touch. Rub off skins and discard.


Yum.....at some point I'd love to try this Balsamic Vinegar method, too: http://kitchen-parade-veggieventure.blogspot.com/2005/10/day-208-roasted-beets-with-balsamic.html

No comments:

Post a Comment